Stright off the seasonal dessert menu of Sri Sri Tattva Panchamrut, this easy yet rewarding recipe will transport you to the Janmashtami vibes of Gujrat, and has been named after Lord Krishna.
- 250g besan (gram flour)
- 250 ghee (clarified butter)
- 100g milk
- 250g organic brown sugar
- 250g cow ghee
- 2.5g cardamom powder
- 2 pinches of saffron
- 125g finely chopped dry fruits (cashew, almond and any other dry fruit of your choice)
- Grease a square pan/baking tray which has a 1½ to 2-inch rim, with ghee and set aside.
- In one tbs of warm water, dip the saffron and put it aside.
- Prepare 1-string consistency sugar syrup (ek tar ki chashni). Take 2 ¼ cups of water in a pan. Pour all the sugar into it and bring to a boil. Then switch to low flame and stir until the syrup reaches the right consistency (thickness). When you check the syrup’s consistency from a spoon between your forefinger and thumb, the syrup should form one string.
- Combine the besan and melted ghee in a deep bowl and mix well until no lumps remain. You can rub the ingredients between palms to make them blend better and switch to a whisk later.
- Next, roast besan and ghee together on low flame till it turns golden brown and releases a lightly roasted aroma.
- Pour the sugar syrup into the besan-ghee mixture slowly and keep stirring on a low flame and let it blend.
- Now add milk and stir for 2-3 minutes until the mixture stops sticking to the vessel.
- Add cardamom and saffron-water into the mix and blend it. The main component of Mohanthal is ready.
- Pour the sweet from the kadhai onto the square pan/baking tray and spread evenly.
- Now roast the dry fruits with a bit of ghee and then pat it onto the mohanthal to garnish.
Serves approximately 25 pieces
Besan or gram flour is a good source of folic acid, which assists the growth of WBCs and RBCs in the bone marrow.
Almonds are rich in Vitamin E, which controls blood cholesterol levels; whereas cashews are rich in selenium, zinc, iron, and essential fatty acids which are good for maintaining shiny hair and healthy skin.