Article contributed by Dr. Shubhaprada R, BAMS, YIC, Nadi Vaidya, Sri Sri Tattva
Ati Sthoola / Sthoulya IS one of the main conditions in which there will be accumulation of excessive Medas (adipose tissue) in the hips, abdomen and breast.
Medo maamsa ativruddhatvaat chala sphik udara stanaha I
Ayathopachayotsaho Naraha Athi sthoolaha ucchyate II
It is considered as a Santarpanotha Vyadhi, caused due to over nourishment.
Obesity is a metabolic disorder in which there will be accumulation of excessive body fat.
Causes of Obesity:
- Adhyashana: Over eating, intake of excessive sweet items, curd, non-vegetarian food.
- Ati Nidra: Oversleeping
- Avyayama: Lack of exercise
- Achinta: Not thinking too much, being happy all the time
Derangement of Agni (digestive fire) causes the production of AAMA which disturbs the Dhatvagni of Medo Dhatu and causes STHOULYA
Signs and symptoms–
- Ati Sweda: Excessive perspiration
- Shwasa: Breathlessness
- Atinidra: Excessive sleeping
- Dourbhalya: Weakness
Hypertension, Diabetes Mellitus, Osteoarthritis, Cardiac diseases.
- Nidaana Parivarjan: Avoiding causes like overeating, oversleeping etc
- Apatarpana Chikitsa: Taking medicines which help in decreasing fat.
- Shodana: Panchakarma treatments like Vamana, Virechana, Udvartana
- Ahaara: Laghu Ahaara. Light food such as soup, boiled vegetables, salads , sprouts, moong dal khichdi etc. Avoid excessive sweets, milk and milk products.
- Vyayama: Mild exercises for all joints. Walkin, jogging, swimming etc.
- Yoga: Bhujangasana, Dhanurasana, Surya Namaskara
- Pranayama: Kapalabhathi, Surya Anuloma Viloma
Thus, an obese person can enjoy a healthy life by following a proper lifestyle, eating healthy food, and exercising.