According to Ayurveda, the Winter Season from Mid-November to Mid-January is characterized as Hemant Ritu, where Ritu denotes season in Ayurveda. Since winters impart certain changes in our body and surroundings that may trigger the Doshas in our body, it’s imperative that we incorporate few modifications in our lifestyle, diet and routine to keep the doshas in balance. These specific Ayurvedic lifestyle modifications and regimen is categorized as Hemant Ritucharya.
Winter season encompasses dusty environments, drop in the temperature, chilly and cold winds that may lead to the disequilibrium of VATA and KAPHA dosha. Also, during winters, the Agni or body fire increases with the support of VATA Dosha which in-turn marks an increase in the appetite. Thus, the frequency of food consumption increases. So one needs to keep a watch on the type of food they consume to satisfy their appetite during winters.
Here are few simple guidelines recommended by Ayurveda that should be followed during the winter –
- Sweet, sour and salt foods should be taken.
- Taking Amla juice on empty stomach is recommended.
- Dairy foods like cow milk, butter, ghee and edible oils are recommended.
- Easily digestible foods should be taken in moderation.
- Include honey in your diet.
- Have warm soups regularly.
- Abundance of healthy fruits and vegetables like Amla, fig, apple, lemon, raisins, spinach, pumpkin, carrots etc. should be consumed.
- Drink warm water throughout the season.
- Consume sugar cane juice and sugar cane as these provide abundant energy and minerals.
- Overeating should be avoided.
- Unhealthy foods like fried foods, carbonated drinks, sprouts etc. should be avoided.
- Regular Oil massage
- Daily Exercise and Yoga
- Use of Woollen clothes
- Footwear should be worn always
- Sleeping during daytime
- Going out in the cold
The above mentioned tips would surely help preventing you falling ill during the winters, however, it’s also great to offer the body some essential nourishment therapies as well. Sri Sri Tattva Panchakarma’s effectual Ayurvedic treatments and ancient holistic procedures will shelter you making your body and mind fully equipped to handle the winter season. Ayurvedic treatments such as Abhyanga, Pizhichil, Nasya, Udvartana, Foot massage etc. are highly recommended for optimal health this season.
For details on our treatments and procedures, kindly write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or Whatsapp us at +91 9620211000.