ABHYANGA | AYURVEDIC OIL MASSAGE HEALING AND REJUVENATING PROPERTIES
Abhyanga is the ayurvedic oil massage that is held in high regards for its healing and rejuvenating properties. The procedure of abhyanga includes anointing oil or medicated herbs over the body. This provides deep relaxation while improving blood circulation in the entire body and is also rejuvenating for the skin. Regular abhyanga is said to prevent the imbalance of Vata and Kapha doshas and thus is considered a highly beneficial therapy as preventive measures for various disorders.
- Relieves tiredness due to various physical activities
- Relieves and controls vitiated vata dosha in the body
- Improves eye sight
- Strengthens the body
- Induces sound sleep
- Improves the quality of skin, making it tender, delicate and strong
- Protects the body from stress, excretion and diseases due to vitiated vata dosha
- Resists the body against Kaphaja and Vatika disorders
- Tones up all body tissues, improves luster and texture of the skin, skin becomes strong and attains a beautiful look
The body is massaged in sections slowly with varying pressures. Firm pressure is applied on the back of the neck, waist and sides of the body, while light pressure is maintained on the neck, abdomen, over heart, face, eyes and forehead. The joints are massaged in circular clockwise motion, the same movement is followed on the abdomen also but in the direction of large intestine, and downward strokes for hands and legs.
For massaging the head, cold oil or lukewarm oil should be used. Rest of the parts of the body should be massaged with lukewarm oil.